Decorative landscaping stones and mulches are not only an excellent way to beautify and accent garden beds, ponds, driveways and walkways, they also provide natural benefits to the soil and plants. These benefits include controlling and reducing erosion, retaining moisture, controlling weeds and insulating the soil.
Here are a few tips on choosing and applying mulch:
• Choose mulch that is long lasting and not easily washed away.
• Pick mulch that has a loose structure to let water pass through quickly.
• Apply mulch in late spring. This helps reduce soil temperature and save water.
• Apply fine mulches one to two inches deep. Coarse or fluffy mulches should be put on three to four inches deep.
• Apply mulch evenly and level it with a rake or your hands.
• Wet thoroughly after applying mulch.
• Pull mulch a few inches away from plant stems and tree trunks.
To further control weeds and keep plants healthy, there’s a new mulch called Vigoro Mulch with Weed Stop. It’s the first to contain pre-emergent herbicide, controlling unwanted weeds for up to four months yet allowing bulbs, established flowers, shrubs and trees to thrive. This mulch is certified by the Mulch and Soil Council as only containing natural forest products.